Thursday, November 28, 2013

For Melissa and Kaday...

I have been in Sierra Leone for only 4 days now, and things are going so well. By the time my flight got in, took a bus, took a boat, and then a car ride, I arrived at the center around 10:30pm. I went to bed almost right away, and had a pretty tough time in the morning. Thankfully a wonderful woman named Amy was right there to give me a tight squeeze along with some encouraging words. Within an hour of waking up I saw the kids, and the pain of missing home was instantly gone for quite some time. I don’t know what it is, because they don’t have that typical “light in a child’s eyes”……these kids absolutely fill every crack of my heart, while completely breaking it at the same time.

Since arriving, two moms have taken a total of 5 children home to the United States. On Sunday, two more will take 5 more kids home. By then, two more moms will be here to work on getting things organized to take their total of 5 kids home.

All of these women are warriors, pillars of strength, fighters, lovers, and heart-patchers. However, today I am focusing on one of them. This is not to minimize the AMAZEMENT I have for each and every one of these moms, but Melissa’s story has captured me, made me cry, made me thank God for His blessings, and stopped me in my tracks.

I officially met Melissa when I arrived on Friday, but had already known she had a wonderful heart and absolutely fierce love for her children at The Covering through our connection on Facebook.

Upon getting here, I learned that Melissa would only be taking three of her four children home when she was scheduled to leave on Sunday. Due to circumstances out of her and her husband’s hands, Melissa and Jeremy would have to leave their daughter behind, again.  This timestamp is unknown, and deeply painful.

Knowing this, I watched Melissa and her daughter, Kaday, interact over my first couple of days, wondering how they could be coping with it all.  I kept thinking about how I couldn’t imagine leaving one of my children behind, and having no choice. I couldn’t imagine watching my mom walk away, knowing she is taking my three brothers home, but not me.

Every thought went through my head to try and identify how they must’ve been feeling…..but I knew that I could not experience that pain, and never will.

I saw tears, but I saw more strength than anything. There were many moments that I could tell Melissa wanted to cry, deeply cry, but she didn’t. She was a true mom in those moments, showing nothing but strength, while letting Kaday feel her own emotions. I also watched Kaday….who at many times, just simply watched her mom. Most of the time it was while Melissa was doing something simple, but Kaday watched her…..

Kaday understood how painful this felt for the both of them, and Melissa knew and respected Kaday for how it all must feel to her.

It was the morning that Melissa was leaving with her three sons when I took this photo. I had been on the porch with the both of them when Kaday started to cry. Melissa scooped her up and just quietly and simply hugged and held her. I took this picture, and right as I took it, Kaday looked up.



This picture says it all for me. There is so much sadness in this picture but SO SO SO much love….unfailing, fight to the end, never give up, hold on so tight even when you have to let go, never-ending LOVE.

As Melissa said goodbye to Kaday, she said “I will come back for you”…and Kaday understood. No questions, no “but mommy”, just “okay”…..She KNOWS that her parents are and will continue to fight for her. She knows she will not be left, and she KNOWS that she is deeply loved. There is simply nothing more beautiful.

Kelly, Karen, and myself took Kaday out to lunch while Melissa and the boys actually left the center. We then went for ice cream after, at which point Kaday saw a picture of her brothers on my computer. She quietly leaned over to me and said “I miss my mom and my brothers. I love my mom and my brothers, and my dad. I wish to go home very soon to my family”…….

Melissa, you are a hero. I know that’s a big word, and it fits. You are a hero to each of your children…..and Kaday especially knows it. She truly, deeply, knows that you love her with every inch of your heart. She knows you will come back for her, and she knows you will always fight for her. I hope you have peace in knowing that God has her wrapped up in his arms, always…even when she can’t be in yours. She is safe, healthy, happy, and is LOVED.

She will come home……and I can’t wait to see your hearts truly full. 

No comments:

Post a Comment